In the past legislative session, TCC members made considerable strides to further protect the life of the unborn by passing legislation to:
- Strengthen parental consent requirements for minors seeking an abortion (HB 3994);
- Require training for abortion facility workers and volunteers to identify and assist victims of human sex trafficking (HB 416);
- Prohibit community schools from using or providing referrals to abortion providers and their affiliates (floor amendment #3 to HB 1891);
- Give patients at the end of life the right to food and water if requested (HB 3074);
- Prohibit the use of any state funds to pay direct or indirect costs associated with abortion procedures provided by any state contractors (HHSC Budget Rider 85);
- Require physicians to offer state-provided educational materials to parents of an unborn child newly diagnosed with Down Syndrome (HB 3374); and
- Create the Texas Adult Stem Cell Research Consortium, promoting life-saving treatments using adult stem cells, which have the potential to alleviate degenerative diseases, rather than embryonic stem cells, which require the destruction of human embryos (HB 177).
In addition to these pro-life victories, TCC members also expressed support for Governor Abbott’s LIFE Initiative, which:
- Makes it a felony under Texas law to perform a partial-birth abortion;
- Makes it illegal for abortion doctors to risk a woman’s health by altering the procedure to preserve fetal body parts;
- Criminalizes any sale or transaction of fetal tissue by an abortion clinic; and
- Eliminates all taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers at state and local levels.
TCC members have been at the forefront of creating a culture of life in Texas which will help protect the unborn.
“Resist the pressures and temptations of a world that too often tries to ignore a most fundamental truth: that every life is a gift from God our Creator…” – John Paul II, 1995